Daphne L. Kackloudis is a member of the firm, she heads BMD Columbus’ health care practice, and she chairs BMD’s Empowerment and Opportunity (DE&I) Committee. Daphne’s success –and that of her clients – is rooted in the nexus between traditional health care legal services and health care public policy. She has broad and deep experience in health care operations, service delivery, payment systems, and compliance, as well as Medicaid, public policy, and government affairs. Daphne advises health care trade associations and health care providers as outside counsel and in-house as a member of her clients’ senior leadership teams.
Fire Your Patient Without a Costly Abandonment Lawsuit
Terminating a physician-patient relationship is fraught with dangers that can land you in serious legal and financial hot water. If you are not careful it can leave you exposed to a patient abandonment lawsuit.
When you “fire” a patient, they can easily feel neglected, discarded and discriminated against. This is what typically drives a patient to feel discarded and initiate a patient abandonment lawsuit. And if this happens, you can count on ending up in a legal and financial nightmare you want NO part of.
However, if you know how, you can end a patient relationship without the worry of being accused of wrongdoing or the stress and expense of defending your actions in court. The answer is to follow a specific step-by-step patient relationship termination policy, and this is where healthcare attorneys Daphne Kackloudis, JD and Ashley Watson, JD can help.
During their 60-minute online training, they will walk you through the precise steps you must employ to avoid patient abandonment lawsuit when you end a patient relationship.
Here are just a few of the protection strategies you’ll receive by attending this 60-minute expert-led training:
- Avoid discrimination charges from protected patient classes
- Defend against “reasonable notice” mistakes that are sure to land you in court
- Identify specific times you should NEVER stop seeing a patient, unless you want to get sued
- Stop non-compliant patients from landing you in court, with a few, simple process changes
- Implement documentation and witness strategies to bulletproof your termination decision
- Avoid innocently re-establishing a patient relationship, and starting all over again
- Uncover how pregnant patients can cause unique problems, and how to avoid them
- Safely refuse treatment due to a conflict of interest
- Write a termination notice letter that protects you against licensing board actions
- Proven patient termination policy verbiage to stop you from being accused of favoritism
- And so much more….
At some point, regardless of your specialty or the size of your practice, you’ll be faced with having to terminate a patient relationship. When this occurs, the only way to protect yourself from litigation is to implement, master, and follow a patient relationship termination policy that includes your specific state guidelines.
Don’t risk exposing yourself to significant legal, financial and emotional distress when it comes to “firing” a patient. Protect yourself from patient abandonment accusations, by signing up for this must-attend online training today.
Meet Your Experts
Esq.Associate in BMD's Columbus Office
Ashley is a healthcare attorney in BMD’s Columbus office. She works with nonprofit and for-profit health care providers, health care trade associations, individuals, and businesses. Ashley is experienced in healthcare public policy and regulatory compliance, legislative and government affairs, grant administration, and healthcare program operations.